Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Time for a New Look

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I've been feeling like I'm in a bit of a rut for the last couple of months, and part of that has been reflected in my hair. Right now, it's fairly long with a few long layers that have long since failed at their intended objective: namely, to give my hair movement and prevent the dreaded "pyramid" hairstyle, favored by Alice on Dilbert:



Needless to say, this is not a look I want to emulate.

The problem is that I routinely vacillate between two possible hairstyles: hair that's long enough to style into a chic ponytail or chignon, and hair that's edgier, more geometric, and (invariably) hovers somewhere between the chin and shoulders.

Truth be told, I do love the look of a chignon. It's so elegant and chic and it doesn't require much upkeep. That is, if your hair stays put instead of unraveling, as mine almost always does, no matter how much hairspray I seem to douse it with.

Here, the dream look I crave:

Joan Small at the Spring 2013 Ralph Lauren show
Photo credit: Imaxtree via HarpersBazaar.com


Anne Hathway at the 2008 Golden Globe Awards
Photo: www.temptalia.com


Now, given how hard it seems to be to make my hair (no matter what length) stay in a bun, I may have to consider the second alternative--the long bob.  

Here are some good examples:


Olivia Palermo
Photo: www.vanessaandvalentine.com

Sandra Bullock
Photo: www.ghairstyle.com


And, the Queen of Great Hair, Jennifer Aniston
Photo: blogs.babble.com

Of course, it would help if I had the same lean, angular features that these women have. Unfortunately, my face is a bit rounder and my cheekbones less chiseled. I'm concerned I'd end up looking more like this:

Anne Hathaway
Photo: www.woohair.com
Don't get me wrong, she's lovely and all that, but this isn't as flattering on her as other hair lengths and styles. It just looks sort of...plain.

Sigh. Well, my appointment is less than a week away. I think I'll just have to mull this over and decide at the last minute. 

Stay tuned...


No comments: