Friday, January 4, 2013

Coveting: Valentino Lace

Valentino is one of my all-time-favorite designers, and his trademark red gowns have always made it on my Fashion Dream Wish List.


From Valentino The Last Emperor

His designs are always feminine, elegant and beautiful. As he explained in the documentary, Valentino: The Last Emperor, "I love beauty, it's not my fault!"

He retired in 2008 and the House that bears his name is currently headed by Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pier Paolo Picciolo.  They're the ones behind the Rockstud collection of shoes and bags, which took the fashion world by storm a few years ago.

I love my Rockstuds, although I confess they don't seem like something Mr. Valentino would have designed himself.

Photo from my personal collection

However, Maria Grazia and Pier Paolo have managed to maintain a lot of Valentino's signature style, while updating it for a modern audience.  Case in point: their gorgeous use of lace.


Valentino S/S 2012
Photo: Nordstrom


Valentino S/S 2012
Their latest offering for Spring 2013 is a fabulous emerald green lace sheath.

Photo: Nordstrom

I'm in love! At $3390, I don't think this beauty will be gracing my closet anytime soon, but it's definitely inspired me to add something green and lacy to my wardrobe for this coming spring/summer.

No comments: